This week we sat down with Kelly from Whispering Metalworks and got to know him and His shop.
Can you tell us a little about yourself and what you create? Hello my name is Kelly... It's a pleasure to meet you! Thank you for taking a moment to read my bio and learning more about me.
I find my inspiration while browsing thrift stores, craft stores and flea markets... always on the hunt for vintage or funky items with unique shapes and colors in the hopes of creating something whimsical that
What I Create:
- Wind Chimes made from re-prposed silver plated flatware and other kitchen items
- Bracelets made from vintage and antique silver spoon handles and twisted fork tines. I also offer hand
- Pendant necklaces made from the handles of silver forks spoons (sometimes hand stamped with a special sentiment)
- Necklaces hand stamped and personalized with a variety of sentiments, my most popular being trucking related quotes and sayings
- Ornaments made from vintage and antique silver plated spoons that have been hand stamped and personalized
- Rings made from silver plated forks and spoons
- Bell necklaces made from hollow handles of knives with fork tine for a clapper
And so much More
my own shop on Etsy selling my wares. My line up expanded beyond the wind chimes and I incorporated jewelry in all different styles, but always sticking with the theme of metalworking. As the demand increased, so did my line up of offerings. I primarily sell online, but for fun, I do try to do events and shows a few times a year. Which brings me to where I am today.
What do you like to do in your free time when your not working on your Etsy shop? I live in the beautiful city of Redmond, which is located right in the heart of Oregon. Here I enjoy the outdoors and all that it has to offer- with camping and fishing being my true passion. Although I am truly dedicated to my business, sometimes the draw of the wilderness calls to me- and I just have to get out and enjoy it! That's what makes my work even more special- I am not a robot that turns out the same things over and over. I enjoy my ability to be creative, and to be flexible enough to come up with one of a kind pieces that are a delight to all!
What is your most popular product you sell? I certainly have a trends depending on the season, but I would say the absolute most popular item I sell is anything made with vintage skeleton keys. These are my hot ticket during the holidays, but are very popular year round. Of course some people go with the obvious and hang them on a christmas tree- but they are also used for shadow boxes, curio cabinets, wedding keepsakes and housewarming gifts from realtors.
How long have you been practicing your craft or art? I have always considered myself to be a pretty crafty person. I've dabbled with all sorts of things- woodworking, HO Scale railroad, 1/25th scale models, and auto metal fabricating. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I really started to delve into the world of artistic metal working. My very first piece was a wind chime made from old silver spoons glass beads and a tea pot.